The Jean Monnet Chair of European Law at the University of Malta is holding its third Rights and Remedies Conference on Friday 13 April 2012.
The theme of this year's one-day conference is 'Rights and Remedies for the Consumer in the European Union'. A panel of distinguished foreign speakers will discuss the following issues:
- Shopping on Online Auction Platforms: Rights and Remedies – Dr Christine Riefa, Brunel Law School, Brunel University
- Ways of Improving Consumer Redress for Unfair Contract Terms – Professor Christopher Willet and Dr Youseph Farah, School of Law, University of Essex
- Consumer Remedies for Faulty Goods – The Impossibility of Balancing the Interests of Consumers, Traders and Coherence of the Law – Professor Christian Twigg-Flesner, Law School, University of Hull
- Commission Proposal for a Common European Sales Law – Benefits for Consumers – Ms Mihaela Carpus-Carcea, DG Justice, European Commission
- EU Collective Redress and Consumer ADR - Professor Christopher Hodges, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of Oxford and Erasmus Professor at Erasmus University, Rotterdam
- Redress for Consumers in Respect of Unfair Commercial Practices - Professor Geraint Howells, School of Law, University of Manchester
- Financial Services and Consumer Protection – Professor Dr Udo Reifner University of Hamburg
- Reviewing the Protection of the Tourist: Passengers' Rights and Package Travel only or a Tourist Services Directive? – Professor Dr Klaus Tonner University of Rostock, Germany and Judge at the Oberlandesgericht Rostock
Following the conference, a publication and a CD containing all the speakers' papers will be distributed to the participants free of charge. This project is funded with support from the European Commission.
Conference Programme & Speakers
17 January 2017