The Department of Pharmacy forms part of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at the University of Malta. The Faculty of Medicine and Surgery and the Department of Pharmacy were established in 1676 when the Council of the Order of the Knights of St John approved the Grandmaster’s decision for the foundation of the faculty at the Sacra Infermeria (Holy Infirmary) in Valletta.
Curriculum developments to reflect contemporary changes in the practice of the profession have been ongoing. Recent events of note include the introduction of aspects of pharmacokinetics and clinical pharmacy in the 1970’s; in 1985 the three year course programme was changed to a four year course leading to the award of the degree of Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours). In 1995 the course was extended to a five year progamme. In the 70’s the Department had its first graduates reading for a Master of Philosophy degree, in the late 90’s it started the Doctor of Philosophy degree and in 2006 a postgraduate Master of Science (Pharmacy) taught course.
| || |
|De Materia Medica ||Ebers Papyrus ||19th Century Pharmacy|
|De Materia Medica, prepared by Dioscorides around 60-78 AD, gives details about medicinal herbs including side-effects associated with their administration. ||Ebers Papyrus, dating back to 1550 BC, describes prescriptions and mode of administration of drugs that included gargles, inhalations, suppositories, ointments and lotions. ||Early 19th century retail pharmacies developed a separate manufacturing area which included an area for extraction and purification necessary for extraction of plant alkaloids such as quinine from cinchona bark used for malaria.|
21 May 2013