Please read these terms and conditions carefully before activating your UM IT Account.
This policy represents an agreement between you and the University of Malta (hereinafter referred to as 'UM').
Services available to alumni
After you complete your course of studies at the UM, you will no longer be able to access the facilities and services available only to current students, but will retain access to the following services, hereinafter referred to collectively as ‘the Services’:
- Alumni Online
- your University of Malta email address, and
- G Suite for Education (formerly known as Google Apps for Education), the continued availability of this service being contingent upon the continuance and renewal of the current agreement between the University of Malta and Google.
- The Services are provided free of charge however, you are responsible for the equipment and any charges that are necessary to enable you to access and use the Services.
- You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and are fully responsible for activities that occur in connection with its use. If you believe that your password has been compromised you should change it immediately.
- You agree that you will only use the Services in a manner that is consistent with these conditions and in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- You acknowledge that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video messages and other materials are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. This means that you are responsible for all content that you transmit through the Services.
- You agree to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy when using the G Suite for Education service.
- You agree that you will not:
- transmit any content that is unlawful, fraudulent, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, libellous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable
- use the Services for political, lobbying, and/or campaign purposes
- use the Services for commercial and business purposes. Unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes or any other form of solicitation are prohibited
- use the Services in a manner that inaccurately implies endorsement, approval or sponsorship by UM (or any individual officer, employee and/or representative of UM)
- disseminate or use copyrighted material without permission
- transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, damage, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
- You are expected to demonstrate good taste and sensitivity to others in your communications. If you receive material of an offensive nature, send a report by email.
- You agree to indemnify and hold UM harmless from any claim or demand (including legal fees) made by any third party due or arising out of any inappropriate use of Services by you.
Privacy and data protection
- The University of Malta is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information in accordance with the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation and all other applicable privacy and data protection legislation.
- By activating your UM IT Account, you agree that, after you complete your course of studies, UM may contact you by post, email and such other means as is reasonable about current news, details of alumni events and programmes involving academic and administrative departments, fundraising activities and the promotion of benefits and services including affinity products. You may withdraw your consent to any of the communications listed above by contacting the Marketing, Communications and Alumni Office at UM in writing (link to postal address) or by email.
- UM shall not disclose your personal details to any third party without your permission other than if required to do so by law.
Termination and modifications
- The Services are a privilege offered to alumni by UM. UM, at its discretion, may deactivate and/or terminate your Services in case of misuse. UM shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to the Services.
- You acknowledge that, following termination of your access to the Services, the email address formerly allocated to you may be allocated to another person and that email messages intended for you may be forwarded to such person. You agree that UM shall not be liable to you or any third party in this regard. UM reserves the right at any time, and from time to time, to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Services (or any part thereof). You agree that UM shall not be liable to you or any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Services.
Change of terms and conditions
- UM reserves the right to update or change the terms and conditions contained in this policy as it deems necessary. UM shall inform you of any such updates or changes by email or by means of a notice on the Um Alumni website, which you agree to review periodically. You hereby agree that by using or accessing the Services at any time after such update or changes, you shall be thereby indicating your tacit acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Policy, as updated or changed.