China is one of the fastest developing economic powers in the world with a massive population and with an inevitable influence on the world. It is very clear that various areas in trade, economy, business and culture must seriously take China into account. The University of Malta is lucky to have been offered a Confucius Institute by the Chinese authorities and this is also a unique opportunity to start teaching Chinese at our University.
The Diploma in Chinese purports to offer the following training, development and skills to the students:
1. A thorough grounding in the basics of the structure and grammar of the Chinese language through exposition and constant exercises both in class and at home. Some courses in Chinese Culture will also be offered.
2. Once the basic foundations have been learnt, the students are expected to demonstrate their knowledge by reading and interpreting Chinese texts and holding conversations in Chinese.
This Diploma Course will also offer students the following transferable skills:
1. Once the students obtain this diploma, they will attract the attention of those employers who are interested in personnel that have a well-trained mind, with an attention to detail and who will execute their duties with clarity and precision.
2. Last but not least, students with a diploma in Chinese will also prove beneficial to Malta in its trade contacts with China.
Applicants must satisfy the General Entry Requirements for admission, namely, the Matriculation Certificate and Secondary Education Certificate passes at Grade 5 or better in Maltese, English Language and Mathematics.
The admission requirements are applicable for courses commencing in October 2021.
For more detailed information pertaining to admission and progression requirements please refer to the bye-laws for the course available here.
UM currently hosts over 1,000 full-time international students and over 450 visiting students. The ever-increasing international students coming from various countries, in recent years, have transformed this 400-year old institution into an international campus.
Our international students generally describe Malta as a safe place, enjoying excellent weather and an all-year varied cultural programme. Malta is considered as the ideal place for students to study.
After you receive an offer from us, our International Office will assist you with visas, accommodation and other related issues.
Total Tuition Fees: Eur 1,800 Fee per semester: Eur 450
Fee per academic year: Eur 4,250
On successfully completing the Diploma in Chinese, students should:
1. Have a command of the basic Chinese characters.
2. Be able to hold simple conversations in Chinese.
3. Read unsophisticated Chinese texts.
Given the great importance of China on the world theatre of economy, business, trade, industry and cultural exchange, the prospective students for this course will come from government departments, business companies and people interested in the Orient.
Click here to access the Programme of Study applicable from 2021/2.
Last Updated: 7 May 2021
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication. The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints. Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice. Unless for exceptional approved reasons, no changes to the programme of study for a particular academic year will be made once the students' registration period for that academic year begins.