Call for Applications
Post of Laboratory Officer
Departments of Pharmacy - Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
The appointee will be required to assist in the running and maintenance of laboratories and research and teaching facilities, utilised by the above-named department in the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, and as may be required by the University.
The position of Laboratory Officer requires the post holder to be in possession of:
- A relevant University degree (MQF Level 6); or
- Relevant Higher Diploma (MQF Level 5) in a relevant area or equivalent qualifications; or
- One (1) ‘A’ level (in a related subject) and five (5) ‘O’ Level passes together with five (5) years of experience in a laboratory environment with a focus on quality systems and accreditation as applicable to laboratory and pharmaceutical processes.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies:
- A knowledge of basic laboratory safety
- Fluency in computer applications
- Good motivational skills and the ability to work under limited supervision
- Ability to work as a team
- A good level of spoken and written English
The annual salary of 2022 is €20,814 rising by annual increments of €375 up to €23,064. On completion of four years of service in this grade, the appointee will, on satisfactory performance, be entitled to move on to the next salary band with annual increments of €408 up to a maximum of €24,617. After a further period of two years, the appointee will on satisfactory performance be entitled to move on to the next band with annual increments of €447 up to a maximum of €26,299.
Candidates are required to upload their covering letter, curriculum vitae, certificates (certificates should preferably be submitted in English) through this form: https://www.um.edu.mt/hrmd/workatum-general
Applications should be received by Friday, 27 May 2022.
Late applications will not be considered
A vacancy currently exists in the Department of Pharmacy for the post of Laboratory Officer. The Department is responsible for undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the areas of pharmacy and pharmaceutical technology in the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
The appointee will be required to:
- Prepare materials and equipment for practical sessions in pharmaceutical technology, pharmaceutical sciences and clinical pharmacy including pharmaceutical dispensing, drug handling, pharmaceutical analysis, medical devices and point-of-care testing
- Assist with organisation and running of practical teaching sessions;
- Co-ordinate experiential placements and liaise with practice sites
- Assist staff and students in the preparation of reports and other effective communication media as material for teaching and publication purposes and audio visual presentations
- Perform laboratory administrative work, including procurement and stock control, collecting and distributing laboratory write-ups;
- Maintain all records, including logbooks and standard operating procedures for laboratory equipment;
- Perform routine maintenance of laboratory equipment;
- Prepare materials and equipment for research laboratories
- Assist staff and students in the fieldwork related to research projects
- Assist in the preparation of seminars, conferences and symposia organised by the Department
- Any other related duties or responsibilities as instructed by the academics teaching on the relevant study units and the Head of Department.
The appointee is expected to work:
- on a full-time basis, and will not be allowed to engage in any other gainful employment without the permission of the Council;
- at such places and during such hours as may be determined by the University of Malta.
The Selection Procedures:
- The evaluation of qualifications and experience claimed and supported by testimonials and/or certificates (copies to be included with the application).
- Short-listing of candidates.
- An invitation to short-listed candidates to a Selection Board interview.
The Selection Process:
The selection process will follow the document “Guidelines for Members of Selection Boards in the Recruitment of Administrative, Technical and Industrial Staff”
In accordance with the guidelines, members of the Selection Board will establish the following selection criteria for the selection process:
- Relevant academic qualifications
- Relevant work experience
- Aptitude and suitability
- Performance in interview
The appointment will be subject to a probationary period of six months and to the provisions of the Statutes, Regulations and Bye-Laws of the University of Malta which are now or which may hereafter be in force.
Office of the University