University of Malta

Study-Unit Description
UOM Main Page
Apply - Admissions 2016
Campus Map button


TITLE Group Assigned Practical Task

LEVEL 02 - Years 2, 3 in Modular Undergraduate Course


DEPARTMENT Artificial Intelligence

DESCRIPTION The Group Assigned Practical Task (GAPT) is an opportunity for pairs of students to work together in a team to design and implement a solution for a well-defined AI problem or a solution that utilises AI techniques.

The Department of Intelligent Computer Systems will offer a number of GAPTs in December, and students are to indicate three GAPTs of their choice, and their preferred student partners. The GAPT allocated to students and the partners they work with is at the discretion of the Board of Studies.

The deliverables for the the GAPT are an artefact that solves the particular GAPT problem, a jointly-written project report, and a jointly given 20 minutes presentation of the solution and demonstration of the artefact.

Students will be given a small number of tutorials (to be attended by all students taking the same GAPT) to receive further instructions and to present problems encountered.

40% of the marks will be assigned for the jointly written report to reflect the team effort. The remaining 60% will be given to students based on their individual contribution to the design and development of the artefact, and performance during the presentation. It is essential that the project report clearly identifies each student's contribution to the GAPT. Marks can be earned by both students in the team by demonstrating that the work was performed in a cooperative and equitable manner.

Study-unit Aims:

To give students the opportunity to work in pairs to understand a problem set by the Department of Intelligent Computer Systems; to work in pairs to design a solution to the problem that incorporates AI techniques; to work in pairs to write a report containing an introduction, a short literature review, an explanation of the design of the solution; an explanation of the AI technique(s) used in the solution, a description of the implementation, a description of the evaluation carried out and the results obtained; an analysis of the results; and a conclusion.

The GAPT also acts as preparation for the Final Year Project.

Learning Outcomes:

1. Knowledge & Understanding:

By the end of the study-unit the student will be able to:
- Analyse a problem and identify the AI techniques to solve it.
- Explain how the AI techniques chosen will solve the problem.
- Explain how the solution should be evaluated.
- Explain the results obtained following the evaluation.
- Describe the process of problem analysis, solution design and implementation, evaluation, and analysis of results in a written report and presentation.

2. Skills:

By the end of the study-unit the student will be able to:
- Design and implement a solution containing appropriate AI techniques for a well-defined problem.
- Write a scientific project report in an appropriate style.
- Measure the solution's accuracy using an appropriate evaluation.
- Organise the work to be carried out by the team to complete the GAPT on time.
- Demonstrate their ability to identify the significant aspects of their work and clearly communicate them orally through a 20 minute presentation.

Main Text/s and any supplementary readings:

These are specific to each GAPT and will be made available when the GAPT descriptions are announced in December.

STUDY-UNIT TYPE Project, Group Learning & Tutorial

Assessment Component/s Resit Availability Weighting
Presentation No 15%
Report Yes 40%
Project Yes 45%


The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the study-unit description above applies to the academic year 2017/8, if study-unit is available during this academic year, and may be subject to change in subsequent years.
Study-unit Registration Forms 2017/8


For Undergraduate (Day) and Postgraduate students.


Academic Advisors 2017/8


Academic Advisors for ICT 1st year students (Intake 2017/8), NOW available

Faculty of ICT Timetables


ICT Timetables are available from Here.

Health and Safety Regulations for Labs Form

The Faculty of ICT Health and Safety Regulations for Laboratories form can be found here



Log In back to UoM Homepage