Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar/handle/123456789/21710
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.date.accessioned2017-09-14T07:31:36Z-
dc.date.available2017-09-14T07:31:36Z-
dc.date.issued1995-12-
dc.identifier.citationBalzan, M. V., Agius, G., & Galea Debono, A. (1995). Acute neurological admission and exposure to carbon monoxide. It-Tabib tal-Familja, 9, 2-7.en_GB
dc.identifier.urihttps://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar//handle/123456789/21710-
dc.description.abstractCarbon monoxide poisoning produces central nervous system hypoxia and frequently presents clinically in occult form. From December 1994 to March 1995 we screened 305 patients admitted for acute neurological problems to St. Luke's hospital for exposure to Carbon monoxide by determining blood carboxy-haemoglobin levels on admission. A questionnaire on indoor air pollution was also administered. Three cases of acute intoxication are documented. The mean carboxy-haemoglobin of the other 302 patients was 3.24% (95% CL 0-7.4, n=43) for smokers and 0.73% (95% CL 0-1.90, n=259) for non- smokefs. Five non-smokers and two smokers had levels higher than the upper limit. This level was probably only clinically signi{icant in one case of a heavy smoker with transient ischaemic attack. There were no cases of exposure amongst strokes (n=141), epileptic fits (n=39), or episodes of loss of consciousness (n=87). However 3 out of 29 patients with impairment of consciousness without focal neurological signs had intoxication. Although this intoxication does not appear to be very common, a high index of suspicion must be maintained, as 34% o{the patients questioned had at least one potential source of carbon monoxide within their household. For this reason we suggest that, information on indoor heating should be part of routine history taking of acute neurological problems, particularly when impaired consciousness is persistent in the emergency room. Carboxy-Hb levels should be taken when there is even the slightest suspicion of exposure, as early treatment of this intoxication with high concentration oxyġen therapy is very effective.en_GB
dc.language.isoenen_GB
dc.publisherMalta College of Family Doctorsen_GB
dc.rightsinfo:eu-repo/semantics/openAccessen_GB
dc.subjectCarbon monoxide -- Physiological effecten_GB
dc.subjectCarbon monoxide -- Toxicologyen_GB
dc.subjectGases, Asphyxiating and poisonousen_GB
dc.subjectBlood pressure -- Effect of carbon monoxide onen_GB
dc.titleAcute neurological admission and exposure to carbon monoxideen_GB
dc.typearticleen_GB
dc.rights.holderThe copyright of this work belongs to the author(s)/publisher. The rights of this work are as defined by the appropriate Copyright Legislation or as modified by any successive legislation. Users may access this work and can make use of the information contained in accordance with the Copyright Legislation provided that the author must be properly acknowledged. Further distribution or reproduction in any format is prohibited without the prior permission of the copyright holder.en_GB
dc.description.reviewedN/Aen_GB
dc.publication.titleIt-Tabib tal-Familjaen_GB
dc.contributor.creatorBalzan, Martin V.-
dc.contributor.creatorAgius, Gabriella-
dc.contributor.creatorGalea Debono, Anthony-
Appears in Collections:It-Tabib tal-Familja, Issue 9
It-Tabib tal-Familja, Issue 9

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
it-tabib tal-familja 09 - A1.pdf567.32 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.