Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar/handle/123456789/23708
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorSavona-Ventura, Charles-
dc.date.accessioned2017-11-13T08:10:15Z-
dc.date.available2017-11-13T08:10:15Z-
dc.date.issued1999-
dc.identifier.citationSavona-Ventura, C. (1999). Civil hospitals in Malta in the last two hundred years. Historia Hospitalium, 21, 45-63en_GB
dc.identifier.issn0440-9043-
dc.identifier.urihttps://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar//handle/123456789/23708-
dc.description.abstractThe first hospital recorded in Malta was already functioning in 1372, while in the sister island of Gozo a hospital was founded in 1454. The arrival of the Hospitallier Order of St. John to the Islands in 1530 resulted in the expansion of services in the Islands as part of a state-organized social services system. At the end of the eighteenth century (1798), the hospitals in use during the time of the Knights of St. John included the renowned Sacra Infermeria for men and the Casetta for females, both at Valletta serving the southeastern harbour region. The rural central region of the Island was served by the medieval Santo Spirito Hospital situated at Rabat, which served poor patients of both sexes. These hospitals were supplemented by several hospices for the elderly and infirm including the 280-bed hospice for both sexes at Floriana, the 80-bed hospice for both sexes at Saura Hospital at Rabat, and the 15-bed hospice for females at Żebbuġ. There was also a quarantine hospital on Manoel Island. The Island of Gozo was catered for by two hospitals, one for males and one for females, both situated at Victoria. The ousting of the Order by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1798 required a reorganization of the hospital services with a segregation of civil and military patients. The Sacra Infermeria was taken over by the French to be used as a Military Hospital being named the Grand Hôpital. A new Hôpital Civil for male civilians was established in Valletta. This segregation was further augmented during the nineteenth century under British dominion when hospital services were organized for civilians, military and naval personnel.en_GB
dc.language.isoenen_GB
dc.publisherMichael Triltsch Verlagen_GB
dc.rightsinfo:eu-repo/semantics/openAccessen_GB
dc.subjectHospitals -- Malta -- Historyen_GB
dc.subjectSacra Infermeria (Valletta, Malta) -- Historyen_GB
dc.subjectSanto Spirito Hospital (Rabat, Malta) -- Historyen_GB
dc.subjectSt. Luke’s Hospital (Pieta, Malta) -- Historyen_GB
dc.subjectZammit Clapp Hospital (St. Julians, Malta) -- Historyen_GB
dc.subjectHospices (Terminal care) -- Malta -- Historyen_GB
dc.subjectOld age homes -- Malta -- Historyen_GB
dc.titleCivil hospitals in Malta in the last two hundred yearsen_GB
dc.typearticleen_GB
dc.rights.holderThe copyright of this work belongs to the author(s)/publisher. The rights of this work are as defined by the appropriate Copyright Legislation or as modified by any successive legislation. Users may access this work and can make use of the information contained in accordance with the Copyright Legislation provided that the author must be properly acknowledged. Further distribution or reproduction in any format is prohibited without the prior permission of the copyright holder.en_GB
dc.description.reviewedpeer-revieweden_GB
dc.publication.titleHistoria Hospitaliumen_GB
Appears in Collections:Scholarly Works - FacM&SOG

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
CSV-Civil Hospitals in Malta in the Last Two Hundred Years.pdf1.17 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.