Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Graffiti of ships at Tarxien, Malta
Authors: Woolner, Diana
Keywords: Excavations (Archaeology) -- Malta -- Tarxien
Tarxien Temples (Tarxien, Malta)
Graffiti -- Malta -- History
Issue Date: 1957
Publisher: Antiquity
Citation: Antiquity. 1957, Vol 31, p. 60-67
Abstract: In May 1956, while visiting the megalithic temples of Tarxien, which stand on high ground less than a mile from the inner creeks of Grand Harbour, massed graffiti of ships were observed on two adjacent uprights in the' Third Temple'. The Tarxien temple group was excavated in 1915-9 by Sir Themistocles Zammit, to whose son Mr Charles Zammit, Director of the Museum Department of the Maltese Government, the discovery of the graffiti was reported; he confirmed that they had hitherto passed unnoticed. His ready co-operation and his generous provision of the photographs illustrating this article are gratefully acknowledged, as is also the great interest shown, and help given, by Mr R. S. Newall, who happened to be visiting Malta at the time of the discovery.
Appears in Collections:Melitensia Works - ERCWHMlt

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Graffiti of Ships at Tarxien Malta.pdf
  Restricted Access
20.43 MBAdobe PDFView/Open Request a copy

Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.