Welcome to the University of Malta (UM)
With music being one of the world’s most respected universal languages, immersing yourself in it and studying it from a critical and intellectual perspective will make you an enriched music professional.
The University of Malta’s School of Performing Arts gives you the opportunity to learn more about how music is applied in different contexts and put your creativity into practice by producing original pieces of music. You may choose from a variety of areas, such as Performing Arts, Wind Band Studies, Musicology, Dance Studies and Theatre Studies.
The three-year programme offered by the Department of Music Studies leading up to a Bachelor of Music (Hons) combines practice and theory, and is free to all EU citizens. You will be taught by our team of international lecturers who, other than being academics, are also practitioners in their respective fields.
This course will be the perfect stepping stone for your successful careers performing and teaching music. It will give you the skills, knowledge, discipline and experience you need to make it in the musical world.
We have plenty to offer in terms of experience and abilities at the start of your tertiary studies. In a nutshell, we provide our students with:
- Regular tuition with academics who are also professional musicians
- Specialised tuition for students in performance
- Specialised tuition in musicology and ethnomusicology
- Specialised studies in composition
- Music-related placements
- Training in orchestral playing
- Training in small ensemble performance and conducting
- Training in music research and writing skills
- Performance opportunities
- Opportunities to study abroad at a partner conservatoire or university via the ERASMUS+ framework