Welcome to the University of Malta (UM)
We highlight the performance dimension of the three areas, integrating the interplay between theory and practice within an array of contemporary and historical contexts.
Each department delivers its own specialised courses in theatre, dance, and music, with another option being the study of two School areas, or one of its subject in combination with another area from the Humanities. Undergraduate courses are all of a three-year duration.
The School of Performing Arts also offers the Bachelor in Performing Arts (Honours) course, which enables students to combine study-units from the existing courses of theatre, dance, and music. This is a flexible (‘pick and mix’) undergraduate programme that is primarily aimed at persons seeking interdisciplinary skills and knowledge in the performing arts. It is tailor-made to fit the aspirations and preferences of each individual student.
The School has plenty to offer in terms of experience, abilities, and resources, including:
- a unique learning environment with an emphasis on interdisciplinary approaches
- practical and theoretical study-units in theatre, dance, and music
- performance opportunities across the three years, including the yearly collective performance that brings together students from the three departments
- fully equipped studios and the use of the state-of-art Valletta Campus Theatre
- great student-teacher ratio that allows for mentoring and individual supervision
- opportunities for Erasmus+ exchanges
- placements in the industry
- international perspectives on the performing arts, through regular workshops and seminars with visiting professors and a yearly international conference
- an English-based course on an island where the sun always shines and immersed in a vibrant cultural scene
Alumni of the School of Performing Arts typically find employment opportunities in the cultural, educational, media, and performing arts sectors.
Tuition is free to EU students.