The skies were gloomy and the seas where rough. Three athletes descended into the dark waters at Ħondoq ir-Rummien to start their swim to Malta at 05:30. I was one of them. A route of about 6km took us 10km, and I for one did not succeed to cross.
However, from every failure come lessons that help us grow:
- Nature is a very powerful force.
- Know your limits, push past them, then know when to ask for help.
- Face your fears, learn from your mistakes.
- Preparation is what will keep you going when the going gets tough!
- New challenges broaden your comfort zone.
- Although sometimes we're fighting our own personal battles, we might be of an inspiration to others who are doing the same. Having a fellow swimmer fighting on next to me gave me some comfort and security. Little did I know that she was thinking the same exact thing!!
Physical Education lecturer