On Wednesday 22 March, THINK Magazine will be hosting their customary Soapbox Event. The THINK Soapbox gives you the chance to meet and discuss directly with some of Malta’s leading minds about their most exciting research projects in an informal setting!
THINK’s upcoming edition (due for release on 17th March and available anywhere at the University of Malta campus) focuses on Sustainability. The first edition of 2023 is about Sustainability and explores research that could lead us towards a greener future. The Soapbox will feature research on the following topics:
- ZeroCO2 Buildings: A Step Closer to Carbon Neutrality – Local researchers discuss how to create a truly zero energy building.
- Exhausting Traffic: A Study on Local Traffic Emissions – By discovering that the bulk of traffic-generated pollution is due to non-exhaust emissions, local researchers have helped identify one of the main pollution sources related to traffic in Malta.
- The Future is Turquoise – Involving 9 European Universities, SEA-EU is an Alliance that pools resources in order to effectively compete with well-equipped universities in China and the USA.
- Can You Enhance That? – A team of researchers at the University of Malta is developing software which can enhance images to extract critical details and clues using artificial intelligence.
- A Revolution of Enlightenment - The Redemptive Rise of Manwel Dimech – While in prison, Manwel Dimech’s thoughts transformed into a series of radical and progressive concepts that would turn him into one of the most overshadowed and pivotal historical figures in Malta’s history.
- Must there be winners and losers as we go green? – Political scientist and economist Elinor Ostrom proposes a polycentric approach in order to tackle climate change.
Researchers will present their work for around 3 minutes; following this, the floor will open up for an informal discussion. These discussions will be limited to 15 minutes, but guests are welcome to stay and chat even after the event ends.
Guests will be treated to a free drink (beer, wine, or soft drink) upon entry. The event will take place on 22 March at Winehouse in Rabat and will run from 19:00 – 21:00.