The Human Rights Programme of the University of Malta in collaboration with the President’s Foundation for the Wellbeing of Society will be hosting a conference to mark the start of a year’s activities to mark the 70th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, under the auspices of Her Excellency, Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, President of Malta.
The conference will be held at the Aula Magna at the University of Malta Valletta Campus on Friday 15 December 2017.
The organisers invite the submission of abstracts focusing on advocating for human rights in all its facets and suggest the following themes:
- Methodologies underpinning human rights advocacy
- The conceptual basis of human rights advocacy
- How can ECHR judgments be utilised in human rights advocacy?
- The experience of national and regional institutions in advocating for human rights
- Bridging access to human rights through grassroots advocacy
- Sector-specific human rights advocacy (children, migrants, etc.)
- Developments in human rights as a result of human rights advocacy
- The media as an enabler and obstacle for human rights advocacy
- Freedom from violence as a human rights advocacy issue
- Evaluating modern tools and techniques for human rights advocacy (e.g. UNCRPD)
- Protecting human rights advocates
- Careers in human rights advocacy.
Abstracts should be submitted on the Online Abstract Submission Form and should not exceed 500 words (excluding affiliation and contact details). The deadline for submissions is Monday 13 November 2017. For Submission of Abstracts and to Register for the Symposium access: www.um.edu.mt/laws/forthcomingevents.
The selection of abstracts will be completed by 17 November 2017 and the authors of the abstracts will be informed about the outcome by not later than 21 November 2017.
The text of the papers should reach us by Monday 11 December.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.