- Applications are invited for a funded MSc by Research opportunity to work on the project entitled Development of a Novel Device to Support Children with Language Impairment in a Bilingual Context (SPEECHIE). SPEECHIE is a project financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology through the Technology Development Programme 2016.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in Communication Therapy with at least Second Class Honours and a strong background in phonological and lexical acquisition and in speech and language impairment in childhood. Students completing their programme of studies by June 2018 will also be considered.
- The selected candidate is required to register for an M.Sc. by Research degree programme in Communication Therapy at the University of Malta, on a full-time basis, commencing in October 2018. These studies will be supported by an annual stipend of €6,000 for a maximum duration of 12 months, following which the candidate will be able to request an extension of the programme for a maximum duration of 6 months on part-time basis. Supervision of the MSc studies will be provided by academics from the Department Communication Therapy.
- The Scholarship will be subject to the eligibility of the candidate to enrol in the Master’s programme. International applicants are required to present an internationally recognised English Language proficiency Certificate at the required level. Further details are available online. International applicants are also advised to familiarise themselves with information available on the website of the International Office, particularly the sections concerning visas and e-residence permit conditions and requirements. International applicants will need to provide assurance that they have the funds available to cover their stay in Malta. The stipend awarded for this scholarship is to be considered as a form of allowance and will not cover all the costs attached to studying and living in Malta. Tuition/Enrolment Fees may apply.
- SPEECHIE (code R&I-2015-042-T) is a project financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology through the Technology Development Programme 2016. The Project Co-ordinator is Dr Ing. Philip Farrugia from the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, in partnership with academic staff and resources from the Department of Systems and Control Engineering, the Department of Microelectronics and Nanoelectronics, and the Department of Communication Therapy at the University of Malta. The industrial partner, Flying Squirrel Games Ltd, leads the development of the software front-end.
- The project’s goal is to develop a novel device, called SPEECHIE, to facilitate assessment and therapy for children with speech and language impairment.
- The candidate chosen for this specific call is expected to take a pro-active role in identifying tasks that enable the device to facilitate the assessment and management of lexical delays in children, as per requirements of this project. The selected candidate will also evaluate the assessment and therapy functions of the device in the phonological and lexical domains.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, a copy of their curriculum vitae, copies of their certificates and contact details (including e-mail address) of 2 referees. Applications may be sent by email to Dr Karen Cacciattolo. If a candidate is already in possession of a letter of acceptance for the Master’s Programme, then it should be provided too. Applications should be received by not later than Monday 30 April 2018. International candidates are required to present certified translations of their qualifications into English. Late applications will not be considered.
- Further information may be obtained by consulting Dr Daniela Gatt.