Call for Applications
Sponsored M.Sc. by Research in Engineering
RIDE+SAFE – R&I Project
Rider Centred Product + Service System for Designing Safer Motorcycles
Project R&I-2017-003T financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology through the Technology Development Programme 2018
WKD Works Ltd., in collaboration with the:
Department of Systems and Control Engineering and the
Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
- Applications are invited for a funded M.Sc. by Research opportunity to work on the project entitled 'Rider Centred Product + Service System for Designing Safer Motorcycles' (RIDE+SAFE). RIDE+SAFE is a project financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology through the Technology Development Programme 2018.
- Applicants should have a good bachelors degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering with a strong background in Control Engineering and Electronics. Preference will be given to candidates having previous experience and/or interest in Control Engineering and System Modelling, with an aptitude for mathematics and programming, electronics and computer interfacing.
- The selected candidate is required to register for an M.Sc. by Research degree programme in Engineering, at the University of Malta, on a full-time basis, commencing in October 2019. These studies will be supported by an annual stipend of EUR 6,000 for a maximum duration of 18 months.
- Supervision of the M.Sc. studies will be provided by academics from the Department of Systems and Control Engineering. The work will be carried in close collaboration with the industrial partner, WKD Ltd., providing a unique opportunity to experience motorcycle technologies.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, a copy of their curriculum vitae and copies of their certificates. Applications may be sent by email or by post to WKD Works, No. 87, Triq Hal Warda, Attard ATD1405.
Applications should be received by not later than noon of Friday, 12 July 2019.
- RIDE + SAFE (code R&I-2017-003T) is a project financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology through the Technology Development Programme 2018. The Project Co-ordinator is Dr Ing. Philip Farrugia from the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, in partnership with academic staff and resources from the Department of Systems and Control Engineering at the University of Malta and the industrial partner, WKD Ltd.
- The project’s goal is to develop an unprecedented Product Service System (PSS) which supports motorcycle customisation for enhanced safety and ergonomics. Motivated by the alarming increase in motorcycle fatalities in Malta, this project is inspired by a user-centred design methodology that places product users at the centre of the design process through a customised design aimed at making the rider more comfortable and concentrated while riding. By designing customised motorcycles based on rider’s characteristics, the risk of accidents is reduced. Furthermore, RIDE+SAFE can be exploited as a service provided to motorcycle schools such that riders can receive customised training on best driving practices.
- The candidate chosen for this specific call is expected to take a pro-active role on tasks that focus on the control system, programming and electronics sub-tasks involved in the design, development, implementation and testing of a dynamic and physically-actuated test jig that is able to provide a realistic and immersive virtual environment for the simulation of a motorcycle ride. This test jig should emulate as realistically as possible the dynamics of a motorcycle ride and facilitate the motorcycle customisation process.
- The selection procedure will involve:
a. scrutiny of qualifications and experience claimed and supported by testimonials and/or certificates (copies to be included with the application); and
b. an interview and / or extended interview.