The deadline for this call has been extended to 31 January 2021.
Call for Scholarship
Full-Time Master of Science in Aerospace (by Research)
Project “SmartAP” with the Institute of Aerospace Technologies
A Scholarship funded by the FUSION R&I Technology Development Programme 2018
- Applications for the scholarship are invited to support full-time studies in Aerospace within the Institute of Aerospace Technologies leading to the award of the degree of Master of Science in Aerospace (by research). The awardee will be required to conduct research into machine learning algorithms to detect and recognise aerodromes (and key landmarks in their vicinity) from camera images. His or her work will directly support the research that the Institute of Aerospace Technologies is conducting in the SMARTAP (Smart Artificial Pilot) R&I project which is financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology, for and on behalf of the Foundation for Science and Technology, through the FUSION: R&I Technology Development Programme.
- The ideal candidate will have a first degree in Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Science or in any other area of study which the Board of the Institute considers as appropriate (with a minimum of Second Class Honours or Category II classification), preferably with experience in deep learning and image processing. Experience with Python and TensorFlow will be considered an asset. Applicants should be eligible to be admitted to the MSc degree of this University in terms of the applicable bye-laws.
- The scholarship will include a bursary of Eur6,000, paid in installments.
- Following selection, the successful applicant will need to submit an application with a detailed MSc proposal. The scholarship will be subject to the eligibility of the candidate to meet the entry requirements set out by the University of Malta and the conditions for enroling in the MSc programme as set out in the above-mentioned bye-laws. The commencement date of the MSc is 1st February 2021 and the successful candidate will be expected to take up residence in Malta and attend the programme in person.
International applicants are required to present an internationally recognized English Language proficiency certificate at the required level. Further details are available online. International applicants are also advised to familiarise themselves with information available on the website of the International Office, particularly to the sections concerning visas and e-residence permit conditions and requirements. International candidates will need to provide assurance that they have the funds available to cover their stay in Malta. The stipend awarded for this scholarship is to be considered as a form of allowance and will not cover all the costs attached to studying and living in Malta.
The degree has an annual enrolment fee of €400 for local/EU/EEA applicants and total tuition fees of €13,400 for non-EU/non-EEAA applicants. The University of Malta seeks to attract top quality students from countries outside the European Union/EEA for whom the University’s Master by research programmes may be beyond their financial reach. Tuition fee waivers of up to 100 per cent shall be awarded to deserving students. The fee waiver will apply for the normal duration of the programme being followed. If extensions of the period of study are required, these may not necessarily be eligible for a fee waiver. Only applicants who have been accepted unconditionally to read for the Master by research on a full-time basis are eligible to apply. Getting a fee waiver is not an automatic right for the selected candidate. Further information on fee waiver scholarships is available online.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, a copy of their curriculum vitae, copies of their certificates and contact details (including e-mail address) of two referees. Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com. Applications should be received by not later than 31January 2021 (instead of Friday 15 January 2021, as previously announced). International candidates are required to present certified translations of their qualifications into English. Late applications will not be considered.
Note: The scholarship awardee will be required to complete an MSc application, which is considered separately.
- The selection procedure will involve:
a. scrutiny of qualifications and experience claimed and supported by testimonials and/or certificates and
b. an interview and / or extended interview.
- Further information may be obtained by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of the University
Msida, 11 November 2020