- Applications for the scholarship are invited to support full-time studies in Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence within the Department of Communications & Computer Engineering, Faculty of Information & Communication Technology leading to the award of the degree of Master of Science. The awardee will be required to develop a multicrop segmentation algorithm from drone images. The developed software package will be used by the Energy and Water Agency to facilitate the establishment of ground truth data sets. His or her work will directly support the research that the Department of Communications & Computer Engineering is conducting in the WARM-EO (Water Resource Management Platform using Earth Observation) project which is financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology, through the Space Research Fund Programme.
- The ideal candidate will have a first degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or in any other area of study which the Board of the Department considers as appropriate (with a minimum of Second Class Honours or Category II classification), preferably with experience in Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence. Applicants should be eligible to be admitted to the MSc degree of this University in terms of the applicable bye-laws.
- The scholarship will include a bursary of EUR 6,000, paid in installments.
- The scholarship will be subject to the eligibility of the candidate to meet the entry requirements set out by the University of Malta and the conditions for enroling in the MSc programme as set out in the above-mentioned bye-laws. The commencement date of the M.Sc. is October 2021 and the successful candidate will be expected to take up residence in Malta and attend the programme in person.
- International applicants are required to present an internationally recognised English Language proficiency certificate at the required level. Further details are available online. International applicants are also advised to familiarise themselves with information available on the International Office website, particularly to the sections concerning visas and e-residence permit conditions and requirements. International candidates will need to provide assurance that they have the funds available to cover their stay in Malta. The stipend awarded for this scholarship is to be considered as a form of allowance and will not cover all the costs attached to studying and living in Malta.
The degree has an annual enrolment fee of EUR 400 for local/EU/EEA applicants and total tuition fees of EUR 13,400 for non-EU/non-EEAA applicants. The University of Malta seeks to attract top quality students from countries outside the European Union/EEA for whom the University’s Master by research programmes may be beyond their financial reach. Tuition fee waivers of up to 100 per cent shall be awarded to deserving students. The fee waiver will apply for the normal duration of the programme being followed. If extensions of the period of study are required, these may not necessarily be eligible for a fee waiver. Only applicants who have been accepted unconditionally to read for the Master by research on a full-time basis are eligible to apply. Getting a fee waiver is not an automatic right for the selected candidate. Further information on fee waiver scholarships is available online.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, a copy of their curriculum vitae, copies of their certificates and contact details (including email address) of two referees. Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com. Applications should be received by not later than Monday, 5 April 2021. International candidates are required to present certified translations of their qualifications into English. Late applications will not be considered.
Note: The scholarship awardee will be required to complete an MSc application, which is considered separately.
- The selection procedure will involve:
a. scrutiny of qualifications and experience claimed and supported by testimonials and/or certificates;
b. shortlisting; and
c. an interview and / or extended interview.
- Further information may be obtained by sending an email to Dr Reuben Farrugia.