The course will cover interactional skills as in listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as a number of cultural and grammatical topics. Participants will learn and will practise the use of the language in everyday life, for example, introducing oneself, greeting someone, giving basic information about location, time, weather and filling in forms such as applications, CVs and simple questionnaires.
The participants will learn about the history of the Maltese language, aspects of etymology, and the basic grammatical structure. By the end of the course the participants will be able to:
- Understand slow speech about everyday topics;
- Read and understand simple sentences about everyday life;
- Answer questions orally and in writing about everyday topics;
- Fill in a form with basic information.
The following topics will be covered:
- Greeting someone and introducing oneself;
- Giving basic information about address, nationality, location and weather;
- Days of the week, months of the year, the seasons and the date;
- The cardinal numbers in Maltese (0-100);
- The family and pets;
- Describing a person;
- Grammar: personal pronouns; verbs, nouns and adjectives related to the topics; the demonstrative pronouns; the possessive pronouns;
- Culture & intercultural skills: comparing alphabets & phonemes; the phenomenon of borrowing; social practices relating to greetings.