The University of Malta has operated various seismographs since the beginning of the 20th century, when seismographic instrumentation was in its early stages. A Milne-Shaw horizontal pendulum seismograph operated from around 1900 to the 1950’s. The seismograms from this instrument are still preserved within the Physics Department, and are indeed being used in a European project EUROSISMOS, which aims to collect, scan and digitise early seismograms belonging to several European institutions. In 1977, a vertical long-period Sprengnether seismograph, with photographic recording, was installed in an old war shelter in the University grounds. This was replaced some years later by a three-component short period station with analogue paper recording.
At present, the SMRU operates one broadband seismic station at Wied Dalam, l/o B’Bugia, code name WDD. The present station is a digital, 3-component, very-broadband (VBB) system. It was installed in June 1995 and consists of an STS-2 triaxial seismometer, and a Quanterra Q680 data acquisition system. The seismograph is housed in a disused tunnel in the limits of Birżebbuġa. The station transmits data in real-time to the SMRU at the Physics Department, while the SeedLink Internet protocol enables real-time transmission to European data centres. WDD is an online contributor to the VEBSN (Virtual European Broadband Seismic Network), which receives, archives and distributes continuous seismic data from hundreds of stations in Europe.