The Academic Programmes Quality and Resources Unit (APQRU), was set up in 2007 and is as the administrative arm of the Programme Validation Committee (PVC).Our role is to provide administrative support to academic staff in the planning stages of new and updated programmes of study in order to ensure that the processes set up to ensure quality outcomes are followed. APQRU also facilitates the provision of advice in connection with physical resources and other costs associated with academic programmes.
Our mission statement
APQRU is dedicated to the facilitation of quality assurance and improvement activities intended to promote a culture of commitment to excellence in the provision of academic services. Our mission is driven by the ultimate aim of supporting teaching and learning and of ensuring that the education provided to our students is of the highest standards.
Our functions and responsibilities
- We assist the PVC in the validation of new programmes and study-units.
- We provide on-site and off-site assistance to faculties, departments, institutes, and centres with regard to validation procedures.
- We assist the PVC in its role of providing quality assurance and improvement mechanisms, and of ensuring that academic programmes on offer at the University of Malta are of the appropriate academic standard.
- We develop and review quality and enhancement procedures.
- We track the implementation of recommendations arising from review processes.
- We analyse the outcomes of review processes at an institutional level.
- We disseminate good practice arising from review processes.
- We ensure that the student experience and enhancement of that experience is a paramount priority at the University of Malta.
- We develop and implement policy which enables the University to assure itself of the quality and standards of programmes on offer.
- We assist the PVC in its role of ensuring optimal use of available resources.
- We help the University prepare for external scrutiny and review.