|TITLE||Lingua Latina Ab Initio|
|LEVEL||00 - Mod Pre-Tert, Foundation, Proficiency & DegreePlus|
|ECTS CREDITS||Not Applicable|
|DEPARTMENT||Degree Plus Programme|
|DESCRIPTION||This unit is for students with no prior knowledge of the Latin language. The study-unit will allow students to translate basic sentences from English to Latin, and to understand basic Latin passages.
• To develop an appropriate level of competence in the Latin language;
• To develop a sensitive and analytical approach to language in general;
• To develop and apply analytical and evaluative skills at an appropriate level;
• To actively engage in the process of enquiry into the classical world so as to develop in effective and independent learning and as critical and reflective thinkers;
• To acquire, through studying a range of appropriate sources, knowledge and understanding of selected aspects of the classical world;
• To develop an awareness of the continuing influence of the classical world on later times and of the similarities and differences between the classical world and later times.
Appropriate unit material will be provided by the tutors during the sessions. There are no set texts for the unit, though tutors may recommend appropriate manuals to students who would like to take their work in this area further.
In keeping with the spirit of Degree Plus, there is no formal assessment associated with the unit. Students will however be assigned a practical task to carry out under the supervision of the unit tutor.
|ADDITIONAL NOTES||This unit may not be offered if there are an insufficient number of applicants.|
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the description above applies to study-units available during the academic year 2020/1. It may be subject to change in subsequent years.