The University of Malta Single Sign-On (SSO) enables staff and students to access different UoM services (e.g. Webmail, eSIMS, AIMS, VLE, eJournals etc.) by signing in once using their UoM IT username and password.
Once signed in, users will not be prompted to retype their username and password again to access other UoM services during the same browser session. Similarly, signing out from one UoM service will automatically stop access to other UoM services.
The UoM SSO also provides access to notifications/alerts from the various UoM information systems, as explained further below.
Staff, students and alumni with a UoM IT Account can access UoM services as follows:
- Click Sign In at the top-right corner of any UoM web page. The UoM SSO screen will be displayed: https://accounts.um.edu.mt/sign-in/
- Enter your UoM IT Account username and password.
- Click Sign In button. Your name and surname and any notifications will be displayed at the top-right of the screen (read further down).
- You can then access UoM services via the Quicklinks drop down menu (at the top-right of any UoM web page).
Alternatively, you can sign in by accessing a UoM service directly. For example, you sign in through the Webmail page and then you can switch to other UoM services without retyping your username and password.
- Before entering your UoM username and password in any screen, you should routinely check that the web address of the page displayed in the browser begins with https://accounts.um.edu.mt/
For example, you may receive an email prompting you to follow the link https://accounts.um.edu.mt. When you follow this link you will be automatically directed to a page with a different address. Confirming that the web page begins with https://accounts.um.edu.mt/ will minimise the risk of entering your UoM IT Account details in fake screens mimicking the UoM SSO sign in page. This is especially important when you are accessing services not from previously used and certified browser bookmarks.
Never enter your UoM IT Account details in any web page other than those beginning with https://accounts.um.edu.mt/.
- After signing in, you will be able to access the UoM services that you have permission to use.
- When you sign in, your name and surname will be displayed at the top-right of the screen.
Student UoM IT Account (A user having both Staff & Student UoM IT Account and is signed in as a student)
- If you have more than one type of UoM IT Account (for example, you are both staff and a student of the University), the type of account is shown next to your name. In the case of a role account, only the name of the account is displayed.
Staff UoM IT Account (A user having both Staff & Student UoM IT Account and is signed in as a staff member)
Alumni UoM IT Account (A user having both Staff & Alumni UoM IT Account and is signed in as an alumnus)
Role UoM IT Account
- If you have more than one UoM IT Account, you may need to switch between accounts to be able to access some UoM services. To do so, you will need to sign out from one account, and sign in with the username and password of the other account.
Staff and students with a UoM IT Account can sign out as follows:
- Click Sign Out next to your name at the top-right corner of any UoM webpage.
- Close all browser windows.
- Signing out of one UoM service will automatically sign you out from all services accessed during the browser session.
- It is of utmost importance that you sign out and close all browser windows when you are done using UoM services, particularly if you are using a shared computer which is not set up with different computer accounts for different users. If you don't sign out or lock your user account on that computer, subsequent users of the computer will have total access to the UoM services that you have permission to use. The safest way to ensure that you have signed out from all UoM services is by closing all the browser windows.
After signing in, the top-right corner of UoM web page may display new notifications/alerts below your name and surname. This section of the webpage is referred to as the notification area. This area helps you keep up to date with new notifications related to the UoM services that you have access to. These may include:
- unread emails
- unread eSIMS in-tray messages
- Library: due/overdue books
- pending tasks in AIMS (for staff).
Each alert is identified by a specific icon which represents a particular service. The figure next to the icon indicates the number of notifications for that particular service. Clicking the icon will give you automatic access to the service. When you access the updated service, the icon is automatically removed from the notification area.
|This icon will be displayed if you have received a new email message on your University address and you have not read it yet.|
eSIMS In-Tray Messages
|This icon will be displayed when you receive a new message in the eSIMS In-Tray.|
|This icon alerts you to return a borrowed book to the Library.|
|This icon alerts staff of any pending tasks on AIMS, such as pending approval of requisition.|
Other alerts will be included in the notification area in the future.
23 May 2013