|TITLE||Medical Microbiology 2|
|LEVEL||02 - Years 2, 3 in Modular Undergraduate Course|
|DEPARTMENT||Applied Biomedical Science|
|DESCRIPTION||The objective of this study-unit is to provide the necessary understanding of the theoretical principles and methods used in the processing of specimens for pathogenic organisms, susceptibility testing and vaccination. It also introduces principles of virology.
• Diagnostic Cycle
• Specimen Processing
• Infectious Diseases by Gram Positive Bacteria
• Infectious Diseases by Gram Negative Bacteria
• Anaerobic Bacteriology
• Susceptibility Testing Methods
• Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
• General Properties of Viruses
• Laboratory Diagnosis of Viral Infections
• Mycology specimens and their processing
By the end of the study-unit the student should be able to:
• Demonstrate the process of making a diagnosis from samples received for bacteriology;
• Apply the information to understand the process of infection caused by common bacterial strains in a clinical setup;
• Summarize the significance of mycoses and recognise the different types of mycoses; and
• Apply the information to recognise the significance of the different specimens and the significance of the analysis and the interpretation of investigations.
• Elliot T, Casey A, Lambert PA. Lecture notes on Medical Microbiology & Infection (5th Edition). 2011. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 9781444334654
• Ford M. Medical Microbiology (2nd Edition). 2014. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199655137
• Greenwood D, Barer M, Slack R, Irving W. Medical Microbiology: A guide to microbial infections. (18th Edition). 2012. Churchill Livingstone. ISBN 9780702040894
• Mandal BK. Lecture notes on Infectious Diseases. (6th Edition). 2011. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 9781405108201
• Murray, P.R. & Rosenthal, K.S. Medical Microbiology. (8th Edition). 2015. Elsevier. ISBN 9780323299565
• Wilkinson M. Medical Microbiology. (1st Edition). 2011. Scion Publishing Ltd. ISBN: 9781904842613
• Struthers K & Westran RP. Clinical Bacteriology (1st Edition), 2003. CRC Press (ISBN: 978-1840760279)
• Basic Concepts in Infection Control
• Mycology Online
• The WWW Virtual Library – Mycology
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the description above applies to study-units available during the academic year 2020/1. It may be subject to change in subsequent years.