|TITLE||Physical Chemistry of Liquids and Solutions|
|LEVEL||03 - Years 2, 3, 4 in Modular Undergraduate Course|
1. Liquids: A look at phase diagrams, order in liquids, classification of liquids, intermolecular forces, equations of
2. Thermodynamic properties of pure liquids: Thermodynamics of phase equilibria, chemical potential of gases,
3. Liquid crystals: Order in liquid crystals, molecular structure and liquid crystals.
4. Mixtures of non electrolytes: Thermodynamic properties of liquid mixtures, ideal mixtures, partial molar
quantities, vapour pressure of liquid mixtures, colligative properties, thermodynamic measures of non ideality,
solubility and the supercritical state.
5. Phase diagrams for multicomponent systems: The phase rule, vapour liquid equilibria in binary systems, liquid
solid equilibria in binary systems, ternary systems, partition coefficients.
6. Polar liquids: dielectric properties, water, structural properties of liquid water, non aqueous polar liquids.
7. Solutions of electrolytes: hydration of ions, ionic transport, the ionic atmosphere, ionic association, ionic
activities in solution.
8. Chemical equilibria in solution: Equilibrium electrochemistry, solubility of salts, acid and base strengths, equilibria
in non aqueous polar solvents.
9. Liquid interfaces: interfacial tension, adsorption at interfaces, surface active agents, adhesion and cohesion,
wetting and contact angle, spreading, nucleation processes.
10. Colloidal systems: formation of colloidal dispersions, colloidal stability, aerosols, foams, emulsions.
- Atkins P.W., Physical Chemistry, 6th ed. Oxford University Press
- Atkins P.W., The Elements of Physical Chemistry, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press
- Murrell J.N. and Jenkins A.D., Properties of Liquids and Solutions, 2nd ed. by Wiley Interscience
- Shaw D.J., Introduction to Colloid and Surface Chemistry, 4th ed. Butterworth and Heinemann (Worth considering
for some of the topics.)
|STUDY-UNIT TYPE||Lecture and Tutorial|
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the description above applies to study-units available during the academic year 2020/1. It may be subject to change in subsequent years.