|LEVEL||02 - Years 2, 3 in Modular Undergraduate Course|
|DEPARTMENT||Computer Information Systems|
|DESCRIPTION||This study-unit introduces students various aspects of e-Business with the focus on developing understanding of different models, tools and technologies available for e-Business and how these can be used to optimise business processes to ensure sustainability and profitability of a business. It will help students in developing an understanding of e-Business impact on society, markets and economy. It would also help students to evaluate needs and benefits of e-Business to an enterprise and to develop an e-Business strategy for it.
During the study-unit, the students will be introduced to:
a) e-Business models and strategies;
b) the e-Business technological infrastructure;
c) security issues in e-Business applications;
d) integration with existing ERP applications.
In particular, the study-unit will discuss the following topics:
What is e-Business?, e-Business vs. e-Commerce, e-Business Strategy, Business Models, e-Business Technological Infrastructure, e-Business Modelling, the role of Enterprise Information Systems in e-Business, Electronic Markets, e-Procurement, e-Business Networks, Security and Reliability for e-Business.
The aims of the study-unit are:
- to teach the students about Ebusiness and the enabling technology concepts and Information Systems enabling the Ebusiness process in modern enterprises;
- to make the students aware of the economic and managerial perspectives when considering the technological options in Ebusiness projects;
- to explain the students about the technological infrastructure enabling Ebusiness applications and their integration in Enterprise information systems;
- to allow the students to understand the main technological issues involving security that have to be taken into account when developing Ebusiness applications.
1. Knowledge & Understanding:
By the end of the study-unit the student will be able to:
- describe the Ebusiness context from the economic and technological point of view;
- explain the technological infrastructure enabling Ebusiness applications;
- describe the main issues in developing Ebusiness software applications.
|ADDITIONAL NOTES||Students taking this study-unit need to have a technical background|
|STUDY-UNIT TYPE||Lecture and Independent Study|
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
Peter Albert Xuereb
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the study-unit description above applies to the academic year 2017/8, if study-unit is available during this academic year, and may be subject to change in subsequent years.