|TITLE||Translation Practice 1|
|LEVEL||05 - Postgraduate Modular Diploma or Degree Course|
|DEPARTMENT||Translation, Terminology and Interpreting Studies|
In this study-unit students will participate in a series of practical sessions during which they will be provided with a series of texts that will initially be introduced and discussed and will then be translated into Maltese. The texts will be chosen from various fields and will enable the students to gain familiarity with specific linguistic features (including lexis, syntax, semantics…) that are characteristic of the field to which the texts belong. Students will also be trained to recognize the style of the texts and to identify their characteristics in order to be in a position to translate them effectively. For this purpose the texts selected for translation may also be preceded by considerations regarding translation theory.
The study-unit will include:
- Texts chosen from different sources (newspapers, journals, official documentation, technical…) to be translated into Maltese and/or English and, to a lesser extent, into the foreign language of specialization;
- Textual analysis in order to identify specific linguistic/stylistic features of different texts;
- Written language development.
- Aquilina, J., (1987-1990; 1999-2000), Maltese-English Dictionary Vol. 1-2; English-Maltese Dictionary Vol. 1-4, Malta: Midsea Publications.
- Baker, M., ed., (2008), Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies, London: Routledge.
- Briffa, C., (2009), Translation Practice for the Maltese Bilingual (English-Maltese-English): A Coursebook on Translatio,Malta:Agenda.
- Briffa, C., "The English-Maltese Dictionary for the 21st Century" (Allied Publications, Malta, 2015).
- Briffa, C., ed., "Translation Studies from Malta" (Malta University Publishing, 2014).
- Briffa, C., Aspetti tat-Traduzzjoni Maltija (Horizons, Malta, 2015).
- Munday, J., (2001), Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications, London: Routledge.
- Psaila, K., Diacono, Ġ., (1991-1993), Dizzjunarju Ingliż-Malti Vol. 1-5, Malta: Valletta Publishing.
|STUDY-UNIT TYPE||Lecture and Tutorial|
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the study-unit description above applies to the academic year 2019/0, if study-unit is available during this academic year, and may be subject to change in subsequent years.