Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Performance audit : an analysis on OHSA’s operations : a case study on the construction industry
Authors: National Audit Office
Keywords: National Audit Office (Malta) -- Reports
Construction industry -- Malta
Occupational Health and Safety Authority
Work environment
Construction industry -- Safety measures -- Malta
Issue Date: 2016-04
Publisher: NAO
Citation: National Audit Office. Performance audit : an analysis on OHSA’s operations - a case study on the construction industry. Malta : NAO, 2016
Abstract: Workers engaged in the local Construction Industry are at most risk of suffering occupational accidents over those working in any other sector. In explaining the occurrence of such incidents, NAO carried out a statistical exercise in which quantifiable variables were tested for correlation with occurring accidents. More specifically, number of hours worked, weather variables and age of workers were tested in order to explain accident rates. Through its analysis, this Office found that none of these factors are strongly correlated with the occurrence of occupational accidents in the construction industry except heat, which factor explains 31.5% variability in accident rates. By deduction, other factors which cannot be immediately quantified, explain the remaining 68.5% of the variability in accident rates. While these unexplained variations are attributable to predictors the NAO was not in a position to quantify, this Office notes that, apart from random variation, these include disregard to occupational health and safety through cultural predisposition and regulatory slack.
Description: The University of Malta would like to acknowledge its gratitude to National Audit Office for sharing this content in order to enhance the Library's Digital Collection
Appears in Collections:National Audit Office

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
OHSA April16.pdf2.02 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.