Department of Classics & Archaeology
Community home page
With a legacy of teaching the Classics that goes back to the University’s foundation in 1769, the department was founded in 1961 with Archaeology being added to Classics in 1990. We are a friendly department with an energetic academic and support staff dedicated to the teaching and study of the ancient world and archaeological practice to local, visiting, and overseas students. We have an active research programme that also includes a number of international collaborations in the fields of prehistory, the history of archaeology, maritime archaeology, and environmental archaeology. We have our own building on campus for teaching and research, and have access to scientific facilities, laboratories, and expertise in a number of faculties. Members of staff are also active in the community as members of voluntary organizations or sit on committees of government boards and heritage agencies. Most of our graduates have gone on to pursue careers in field archaeology, museums, heritage management, teaching, advertising, civil service, and academia, locally and overseas.