Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar/handle/123456789/21158
Title: The south east of Malta and its defence up to 1614
Authors: Fiorini, Stanley
Keywords: Malta -- History -- Knights of Malta, 1530-1798
Zejtun, Raid of, 1614
Coast defenses -- Malta
Fortification -- Malta
Zejtun (Malta) -- History
Issue Date: 2014
Publisher: Wirt iz-Zejtun
Citation: Fiorini, S. (2014). The south east of Malta and its defence up to 1614. In Abela, R. (Ed.) The Turkish Raid of 1614 (82-93). Malta: Wirt iż-Żejtun.
Abstract: The object of this presentation is to give an overview of how the south-east of Malta comprising the Cappella of Sancta Catherina, that is the Parish of Ÿejtun, was geared for enemy attacks before 1530 and after the arrival of the Order of St John until the last invasion of 1614, whose fourth centenary is being commemmorated. It is shown how the coastal watch, the so-called Maoeras, for this district, originally organized by the Mdina Universitas came to be dependent on St Angelo towards the mid- fifteenth century and how, at about the same time, fortification of the old Parish Church was undertaken to defend the villagers, in view of the distance of the parish from Mdina. The dependent hamlet of Ÿabbar was one of the identified Dejma (land force as opposed to the coastal Maoeras) centres. It is suggested that one reason why the Port of Marsaxlokk appears to have been singled out by the Moorish corsairs for especial attention was retaliation for its use as the hub of Christian provocation, especially after 1530.
URI: https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar//handle/123456789/21158
Appears in Collections:Scholarly Works - InsMS

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Zejtun (no. 68).pdf922.75 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.