Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: The holy infirmary of the Order of St. John at Valletta
Authors: Cassar, Paul
Keywords: Sacra Infermeria (Valletta, Malta) -- History
Hospitals -- Malta -- Valletta -- History
Hospital care -- Malta -- Valletta -- History
Issue Date: 1978
Publisher: Midsea Books Ltd.
Citation: Cassar, P. (1978). The holy infirmary of the Order of St. John at Valletta. Heritage: an encyclopedia of Maltese culture and civilization, 11, 201-204
Abstract: The hospital of the Knights of the Order of St. John, known as the Holy Infirmary, was erected at the time of Grand Master Jean de Ia Cassiere, on a site overlooking the curtain of St. Lazarus, near Fort St. Elmo. The work was started in 1574. Originally, the hospital consisted of a very large hall , which in later years was extended backwards, during the rule of Grand Master Raphael Co toner (1660-63) and of his brother Grand Master Nicholas Cotoner (1663- 80). In 1712 Grand Master Ramon Perellos y Roccafull (1697-1720) enlarged the hospital, by the addition of an extension, abutting on Merchants Street, housing the Chapel of The Blessed Sacrament and a pharmacy.
Appears in Collections:Melitensia Works - ERCWHMlt

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
  Restricted Access
924.31 kBAdobe PDFView/Open Request a copy

Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.