Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: San Anton Palace (part three)
Authors: Micallef, Denise
Keywords: San Anton Palace (Attard, Malta) -- History
Palaces -- Malta
Architecture -- Malta
Issue Date: 1985
Publisher: Gulf Publishing Ltd.
Citation: Micallef, D. (1985). San Anton Palace (part three). Civilization, 24, 645-647.
Abstract: Through the looking stable door in St. Anthony Street, from the long flagstone tunnel on the left close to the old spiral staircase stands the palace chapel built by De Vilhena in 1722 and dedicated to the "Madonna tal-Pillar". It is moderate in size and very artistic. The principal feature is the decorative frescoes introducing masses of brilliant colours under the grilled sloping windows. On the ceiling one picks up the coat of arms of De Rohan, combined with those of De Vilhena and Pinto. On the picture of the main altar is the emblem of the donator. There is a tiny sacristy with the confessional and the pretty wash-hand fount. The presidential entrance has artistic powers. The sentry guards the side gates to the palace. The long avenue is 250 yards long streamed with high elms, oaks and flowers that swell perpetually into greenery. The carriage-way ends sharply to the left into the courtyard faintly damp and heavily scented with the leaves. In 1625 part of the gardens were opened to the public.
Appears in Collections:Melitensia Works - ERCFAArc

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
  Restricted Access
7.8 MBAdobe PDFView/Open Request a copy

Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.