Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar/handle/123456789/60367
Title: Gozo 1688 : the village communities confirmed
Authors: Bezzina, Joseph
Keywords: Gozo (Malta) -- History -- 17th century
Gozo (Malta) -- Population -- History
Villages -- Malta -- Gozo -- History
Communities -- Malta -- Gozo -- History
Issue Date: 1988
Publisher: De La SaIle Brothers Publications
Citation: Bezzina, J. (1988). Gozo 1688 : the village communities confirmed. In: B. Hilary (ed.),┬áThe Malta Year Book 1988. Malta: De La SaIle Brothers Publications, pp. 391-393.
Abstract: Gozo in 1551 had a population of between five and six thousand. It was concentrated in the Castello and in the slowly developing suburb of Rabat beneath its south fortifications. The four parish churches of Gozo were all situated within a stone's throw of each other in that area. However, from the scanty sources available for that time, it is quite clear that there was a scatter of settlements throughout the whole island. Most of the place-names of the future village units were already in existence. It is also known that several of the chapels that dotted the island had a community living in their vicinity. [excerpt]
URI: https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar/handle/123456789/60367
Appears in Collections:Malta Yearbook : 1988

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
1988_Gozo_1688_the_village_communities_confirmed.pdf
  Restricted Access
135.83 kBAdobe PDFView/Open Request a copy


Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.