Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Hotels and lodgings in nineteenth century Sliema (1851-1900)
Authors: Zammit, Winston L.
Keywords: Hotels -- Malta -- Sliema -- History -- 19th century
Lodging-houses -- Malta -- Sliema -- History -- 19th century
Hospitality industry -- Malta -- Sliema -- History -- 19th century
Issue Date: 1988
Publisher: De La SaIle Brothers Publications
Citation: Zammit, W. L. (1988). Hotels and lodgings in nineteenth century Sliema (1851-1900). In: B. Hilary (ed.),┬áThe Malta Year Book 1988. Malta: De La SaIle Brothers Publications, pp. 418-420.
Abstract: The earliest information concerning hotels and lodgings in Sliema dates from 1851. In that year one encounters the name of The Codrington Hotel by Luigi Pollacco, Sliema. Three years later (1854) one again comes across the name of a Luigi Pollacco who owned lodgings in Strada Reale, Sliema. However, in 1854, apart from Pollacco's lodgings, there were two other lodgings in Sliema, Jevons Lodgings in Strada Marina e Tigne, and Mrs Lowe's Lodgings in Strada Ghar-id-Dud. For the next fourteen years no information on this topic is available for it is only in 1868 that one finds the name of another hotel, The Prince of Wales Hotel at No 37, Tower Road. [excerpt]
Appears in Collections:Malta Yearbook : 1988

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
  Restricted Access
116.04 kBAdobe PDFView/Open Request a copy

Items in OAR@UM are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.