An excellent showcase of students’ work in areas of wide interest, such as digital health, data science and blockchain, among many others – and an equally rich panel of speakers. This is what this year’s Faculty of ICT Exhibition, carrying the theme of ‘Nurturing a Community of Digital Leaders’ is promising to be.
Expect a weekend of lively discussions on how our future is going to get more digital than it already is, led by experts and industry practitioners.
Moderated by Mr Keith Demicoli, journalist and news presenter
- Dr Ing. Nicholas J. Sammut, Senior Lecturer at the Microelectronics and Nanoelectronics Department; an electrical engineer who is known for his research on the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
- Mr Damian Debono, Graduate of Software Development Degree Programmes, who intends to further his studies with a Masters in Telecommunications Engineering.
- Mr Matthew Meli, PhD student in Microelectronics and Nanoelectronics, who, after completing his Bachelors' Degree in Computer Engineering, joined the Faculty as a Research Officer. He is currently working on an EU project called ESAIRQ as part of his PhD studies.
- Dr. Ing. Anton Bartolo, Director of the Knowledge Transfer Office at UM, and founder of the same office which he founded in 2009 to commercialise research from UM, as well as to promote research collaboration between UM and the industry.
Moderated by Dr Ramona Depares, Culture editor
- Dr Christian Colombo, Senior Lecturer at the Computer Science Department, who, over the past years, he has focused his research on runtime verification, an area dealing with checking software correctness during its execution, particularly in the case of financial transaction systems.
- Ms Cristina Gatt, a graduate in Computer Science, who is currently studying for a Master of Science in ICT, focusing on software testing.
- Ms Francesca Silvio, graduate in Artificial Intelligence, who, following the completion of her Bachelor of Science degree, kicked off her full-time career with a job in BI Development. She's also pursuing a part-time Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence.
- Mr Brian Joseph Pace, graduate in Artificial Intelligence, and a software developer for a local bank. He is also enrolled in the Masters in AI course at UM.
- Ms Dana Farrugia, Chief Executive Officer at Tech.mt, a Foundation established in partnership between the Government of Malta and The Malta Chamber of Commerce, Enterprise & Industry to promote the National Strategy for Technology & Innovation.
Moderated by Mr Ian Busuttil Naudi, Presenter of TV show Gadgets
- Prof. Matthew Montebello, Head of the Department of Artificial Intelligence, and a full professor there. He also heads the Agent Technology Research Group at departmental level, and coordinates a number of interest groups within the same faculty.
- Mr Gabriel Camilleri recently graduated in Computing Science, but his current sighted goal is to continue seeking and exploring different areas in the ICT industry.
- Mr Mark Mizzi, a graduate in Computer Information Systems, who currently works at a local fintech company as an Application Developer. His main aim to keep using his skills to keep building software systems meant to help people with disabilities regain some of their independence.
- Dr. Ing. Mario Cordina, Head of Radio Networks at Vodafone, started his engineering training with Methode Electronics Malta where he worked on the design of embedded systems for the automotive industry. He then joined Vodafone and progressed to Head of Radio Networks leading the design and optimisation of Vodafone radio networks. He is also the technical lead for IoT products/services and spearheaded the design and deployment of Vodafone NB-IoT service in Malta in 2018.
Moderated by Mr Alexander Borg, Accelerator Manager at MITA
- Dr John Abela, Senior Lecturer at the Department of Computer Information Systems, and Chair of the Board of Studies for the Software Development degree programme. His main areas of interest are fintech, blockchain, Business Intelligence, AI, Machine Learning, Data Science & SEO.
- Dr Russell Farrugia, PhD graduate from the Department of Microelectronics and Nanoelectronics, and micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) researcher at the same department. Over the past seven years, he has been involved in several European projects related to the design and characterisation of a number of MEMS devices.
- Mr Julian Demicoli, graduate of Computing and Business; has previously worked at MFSA within the fintech and innovation team. His focus has recently shifted more towards data analysis and business intelligence.
- Mr Matthew Scerri, Associate Director, Digital Solutions at KPMG, working within a team that delivers projects that range across software development, advisory and strategy. He specialises in Emerging Technologies.