The Research Funds Committee has recently decided the awardees of the €60,000 Research Excellence Funds for 2023-24.
The decisions were based on the review reports and scores assigned to the submitted proposals by independent, external evaluators. Five projects were selected for award, one from every thematic area.
This is the first year that we are awarding projects from five thematic areas, being; Arts, Humanities, Engineering, ICT & Built Environment, Medical and Health Sciences, Natural Sciences and Knowledge Sciences and Social Sciences & Education.
On 19 December 2022, the UM Rector officially awarded the grants to the leaders of the selected proposals.
The awardees are the following:
- Prof. Victoria Ann Cremona - The Royal Opera House and its re-discovered Stage Scenery. - Department of Theatre Studies (School of Performing Arts).
- Prof. Adrian Francalanza - Security Behavioural APIs - Applied in the area Engineering. - Department of Computer Science (Faculty of Information & Communication Technology).
- Prof. Arthur Nogueira Rodriguez - Accuracy and microscopic analysis of internal fit of CAD-CAM dental fixed partial dentures with different materials - Department of Dental Surgery (Faculty of Dental Surgery).
- Prof. Joseph Buhagiar - Maltese mYCo-diversity: unexplored sOurce of BIOactive compouNdS (BIOMYCONS) - Department of Biology (Faculty of Science).
- Prof. Adrian-Mario Gellel - A pedagogy to facilitate children’s sensemaking: Engaging with art and narrative to develop a symbolic repertoire - Department of Early Childhood & Primary Education (Faculty of Education) & Department of Pastoral Theology, Liturgy & Canon Law (Faculty of Theology).
Photo: (Left) Prof. Victoria Ann Cremona & (right) Prof. Carl James Debono obo Prof. Adrian Francalanza
Photos: (Left to right) Prof. Adrian-Mario Gellel, Prof. Joseph Buhagiar and Prof. Arthur Nogueira Rodriguez