- The University of Malta is receiving applications from candidates interested in applying for a scholarship that is being awarded to support full-time studies in Aerospace within the Institute of Aerospace Technologies leading to the award of the degree of Master of Science in Aerospace (by research). The awardee will be required to conduct research in machine learning algorithms to enable an aircraft to detect and avoid adverse weather along its flight path. His or her work will directly support the research that the Institute of Aerospace Technologies is conducting in the SMARTAP (Smart Artificial Pilot) R&I project which is financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology, for and on behalf of the Foundation for Science and Technology, through the FUSION: R&I Technology Development Programme.
- The ideal candidate will have a first degree in Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or in any other area of study which the Board of the Institute considers as appropriate (with a minimum of Second Class Honours or Category II classification), preferably with experience in deep learning and image processing.
Experience with Python and TensorFlow will be considered an asset. Applicants should be eligible to be admitted to the M.Sc. degree of this University in terms of the applicable bye-laws.
- The scholarship will include a bursary of EUR 6,000, paid in installments.
- Following selection, the successful applicant will need to submit an application with a detailed M.Sc. proposal. The scholarship will be subject to the eligibility of the candidate to meet the entry requirements set out by the University of Malta and the conditions for enroling in the M.Sc. programme as set out in the above-mentioned bye-laws.
- International applicants are required to present an internationally recognised English Language proficiency certificate at the required level. International applicants are also advised to familiarise themselves with information available on the website of the International Office, particularly to the sections concerning visas and e-residence permit conditions and requirements. International candidates will need to provide assurance that they have the funds available to cover their stay in Malta. The stipend awarded for this scholarship is to be considered as a form of allowance and will not cover all the costs attached to studying and living in Malta.
The degree has an annual enrolment fee of EUR 400 for local/EU/EEA applicants and total tuition fees of EUR 13,400 for non-EU/non-EEAA applicants. The University of Malta seeks to attract top quality students from countries outside the European Union/EEA for whom the University’s Master by research programmes may be beyond their financial reach. Tuition fee waivers of up to 100 per cent shall be awarded to deserving students. The fee waiver will apply for the normal duration of the programme being followed. If extensions of the period of study are required, these may not necessarily be eligible for a fee waiver. Only applicants who have been accepted unconditionally to read for the Master by research on a full-time basis are eligible to apply. Getting a fee waiver is not an automatic right for the selected candidate. Further information on fee waiver scholarships is available online.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, a copy of their curriculum vitae, copies of their certificates and contact details (including email address) of two referees. Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com. Applications should be received by not later than Friday 26 June 2020. International candidates are required to present certified translations of their qualifications into English.
Late applications will not be considered.
Note: The scholarship awardee will be required to complete an M.Sc. application, which is considered separately.
- The selection procedure will involve:
a. scrutiny of qualifications and experience claimed, supported by testimonials and/or certificates; and
b. an interview and / or extended interview.
- Further information may be obtained by sending an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Institute of Aerospace Technologies
The Institute of Aerospace Technologies has extensive experience in participation in projects in aeronautics