- Applications are invited for an external expert to work on BYTHOS (Biotechnologies for Human Health and Blue Growth), a project financed by the InterregV-A Programme in which the Department of Geosciences at the University of Malta is a partner, besides the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture (DFA) and Aquabiotech Limited.
- The awardee will be required to: (i) screen the quality of selected biomolecules (e.g. collagen) extracted from non-marketable waste fish biomass (offal, heads, etc), to (ii) assist the University of Malta and the DFA into its efforts to formulate and deliver small quantities of fish meal from the same waste for further analysis and certification purposes and to (iii) assist Prof. Alan Deidun and Dr Marion Zammit-Mangion in the formulation and compilation of drafts of scientific manuscripts destined for eventual publication.
- The awardee will work mostly at the laboratory facilities of the University of Malta (Msida) and of the DFA in San Luċjan (Marsaxlokk) and Għammieri (Marsa/Qormi).
- The ideal candidate needs to have at least a first degree in Biology or a related discipline, as well as a post doc (e.g. Masters or PhD level) degree in the laboratory sciences. A demonstrated capacity to work both independently and in a team in a lab setting, experience in extraction and separation techniques and/or previous experience in cell viability assays and participation in research projects will be considered positively.
- The engagement will last for a maximum of five (5) months from receipt of appointment letter, preferably commencing soon after 1 June 2020, with the selected candidate expected to invest a minimum of 500 logged hours over the same period. The candidate needs to log the hours spent within the University of Malta’s and the DFA’s laboratories on a monthly basis within time-sheet templates provided by the University of Malta. 50% of the total payment by the University of Malta will be made after the first full month of work, against the provision of VAT receipts by the same candidate, whilst the remaining 50% of the payment will be made upon full completion of commissioned tasks and duties and upon the submission of a final administrative report of activities conducted by the awardee.
- Total remuneration for the engagement is that of 10,000 euros, exclusive of 18% VAT.
Application deadline: Monday 8 June
To get to know more and to apply contect Prof. Alan Deidun.