Call for Scholarship
MSc by Research in Occupational Therapy
Project SMARTCLAP – “A Smart User-Centred Product Service System for Evaluating and Developing Functional Hand Skills in Children with Cerebral Palsy”
A Scholarship funded by the FUSION R&I Technology Development Programme 2020
- Applications are invited for a funded MSc by Research opportunity to work on the project entitled SMARTCLAP financed by the Malta Council for Science & Technology through the Technology Development Programme 2020 in which the University of Malta is lead partner. The project is led by the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering in collaboration with the Department of Systems and Control Engineering. SMARTCLAP is intended for children with cerebral palsy. It exploits User-Centred Design to develop a revolutionary product service system which offers an enhanced personalised motivation and remote monitoring of the child's progress during therapeutic exercises administered by a paediatric Occupational Therapist. The candidate chosen for this specific call is expected to evaluate the use of the device from the perspectives of the services users during occupational therapy intervention and beyond, as well as determine the effectiveness of its use for with different children. Further information on the project may be obtained by contacting Professor Ing. Philip Farrugia at email@example.com.
- The ideal candidate should have a Bachelor degree in Occupational Therapy with at least Second Class Honours.Preference will be given to candidates who have a keen interest in the researching the area of paediatric occupational therapy practice and physical disability. Those who are still not in possession of a first degree and are final year students reading for their first degree in Occupational Therapy may also apply. In this case, appointees are only retained on the project if they attain their degree by not later than December 2021. Applicants should be eligible to be admitted to the MSc degree of this University in terms of the applicable bye-laws.
- The selected candidate will be required to register for an MSc by Research degree programme in Occupational Therapy at the University of Malta on a full-time basis, commencing not later than October 2021. These studies will be supported by an annual stipend of EUR 6,000 for a duration of 12 months. Candidates will be able to request an extension of the programme of studies and their stipend for a maximum additional duration of 6 months, conditional on positive progress reports from the MSc supervisor. Supervision of the M.Sc. studies will be provided by academics from the Department of Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Health Sciences. The Scholarship will be subject to the eligibility of the candidate to enrol in the Master’s programme.
- International applicants are required to present an internationally recognized English Language proficiency certificate at the required level. Further details are available online. International applicants are also advised to familiarise themselves with information available on the website of the International Office, particularly to the sections concerning visas and e-residence permit conditions and requirements. International candidates will need to provide assurance that they have the funds available to cover their stay in Malta. The stipend awarded for this scholarship is to be considered as a form of allowance and will not cover all the costs attached to studying and living in Malta.
The degree has an annual enrolment fee of €400 for local/EU/EEA applicants and total tuition fees of €13,400 for non-EU/non-EEAA applicants. The University of Malta seeks to attract top quality students from countries outside the European Union/EEA for whom the University’s Master by research programmes may be beyond their financial reach. Tuition fee waivers of up to 100 per cent shall be awarded to deserving students. The fee waiver will apply for the normal duration of the programme being followed. If extensions of the period of study are required, these may not necessarily be eligible for a fee waiver. Only applicants who have been accepted unconditionally to read for the Master by research on a full-time basis are eligible to apply. Getting a fee waiver is not an automatic right for the selected candidate. Further information on fee waiver scholarships is available online.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, a copy of their curriculum vitae, copies of their certificates and contact details (including e-mail address) of two referees. Applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be received by not later than 14 July 2021. International candidates are required to present certified translations of their qualifications into English.
Late applications will not be considered.
Note: The scholarship awardee will be required to complete an MSc application, which is considered separately.
- The selection procedure will involve:
a. scrutiny of qualifications and experience claimed, supported by testimonials and/or certificates
b. shortlisting, and
c. an interview and / or extended interview.
- Further information may be obtained by sending an email to Ms Nathalie Buhagiar.
Office of the University
Msida, 15 June 2021