- Applications are invited for a funded M.Sc. by Research opportunity to work on the project entitled SIGMA financed by the Energy & Water Agency through the R&I Scheme 2020, in which the University of Malta is the sole partner. The project is led by the Department of Geosciences within the Faculty of Science.
SIGMA is a geophysical and hydrological investigation on groundwater using unconventional physical measurements to improve continuous monitoring of underground water reservoirs. This will be accomplished by analysing the continuous seismic data recorded on the Malta Seismic Network during recent years.
The M.Sc. project will deal primarily with cross-correlation analysis of ambient noise from a subset of seismic stations and the investigation of seismic velocity changes, using available software tools, mainly MSNoise, a Python package. Alternative research aspects, falling within the scope of the project, may also be considered. Further information on the project may be obtained by contacting Dr Sebastiano D’Amico by email.
- The ideal candidate should have a Bachelor degree in Geosciences, Computing, Physics or related area. Applicants should be eligible to be admitted to the M.Sc. degree of this University in terms of the applicable bye-laws of the Faculty of Science.
- The selected candidate will be required to register for an M.Sc. by Research degree programme in Geosciences at the University of Malta (preferably on a full-time basis), commencing not later than May 2021. These studies will be supported by an annual stipend of EUR 6,000 for a duration of 12 months. Supervision of the M.Sc. studies will be provided by academics from the Department of Geosciences. The Scholarship will be subject to the eligibility of the candidate to enrol in the Master’s programme and the successful candidate will be expected to take up residence in Malta and attend the programme in person.
- International applicants are required to present an internationally recognised English Language proficiency certificate at the required level. Further details are available online. International applicants are also advised to familiarise themselves with information available on the website of the International Office, particularly to the sections concerning visas and e-residence permit conditions and requirements. International candidates will need to provide assurance that they have the funds available to cover their stay in Malta. The stipend awarded for this scholarship is to be considered as a form of allowance and will not cover all the costs attached to studying and living in Malta.
The degree has an annual enrolment fee of EUR 400 for local/EU/EEA applicants and total tuition fees of EUR 13400 for non-EU/non-EEAA applicants. The University of Malta is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to attract top quality students from countries outside the European Union/EEA. Tuition fee waivers of up to 100 per cent shall be awarded to deserving students. The fee waiver will apply for the normal duration of the programme being followed. If extensions of the period of study are required, these may not necessarily be eligible for a fee waiver. Only applicants who have been accepted unconditionally to read for the Master by research on a full-time basis are eligible to apply. Getting a fee waiver is not an automatic right for the selected candidate. Further information on fee waiver scholarships is available online.
- Candidates should submit their letter of application, a copy of their curriculum vitae, copies of their certificates and contact details (including e-mail address) of two referees. Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com. Applications should be received by not later than 30 March 2021. International candidates are required to present certified translations of their qualifications into English. Late applications will not be considered.
Note: The scholarship awardee will be required to complete an M.Sc. application, which is considered separately.
- The selection procedure will involve:
a. scrutiny of qualifications and experience claimed, supported by testimonials and/or certificates,
b. shortlisting, and
c. an interview and / or extended interview.
- For further information, please contact Dr Sebastiano D’Amico by email.