Time: 8:00–11:00 (New York, EST); 13:00–16:00 (London, GMT); 14:00–17:00 (Malta, CET)
Venue: Online event
- Emotions as attachments and reactions to documents and to the people who created them
- Emotion as the experience of the archive as a space, an environment, and a milieu (including the personal and professional relationships formed there)
- Emotions as factors affecting which and how records are accumulated, collected, re/arranged, preserved, as well as the shape, description, communication, and the physicality of the archives, also taking into account issues of neutrality and inclusivity, or lack thereof.
With an eye on the bio-cultural aspect of emotions and archives, also:
- The instruments and materials involved in the preservation, cataloguing, and consultation of archival materials (desks, machines such as cameras, microfilm readers, card catalogues, computers, stands, weights etc.)
- Sensorial experience of the archives themselves (touch, smell, sound etc.)
- Uniform/dress of researchers and archivists—evolving trends/implications for broader socio-cultural histories and how people regard the archival experience)
- The perception of the archivists and researchers in the society/s and the self-perception of archivists today
- The relationship between archives, memory, identity, historians, and archivists and their overlapping concerns with records
- Conceptualisations of archives as bodies and sentimentalised entities, organisational systems, and hierarchical levels as trees
- From the archivist side: managing archives, welcoming and guiding researchers, concerns about security and usage;
- From the researcher side: early contact and preliminary research, funding, travel, sign in, consultation, stolen views of the vaults, taking pictures, reading, taking notes,
consulting at home and accessibility issues
- Feeling attached to archival experiences: discovering, saving, accumulating, managing, etc.
All submissions will be acknowledged and receive a response by the 29 April 2022.
More information is available online.