|TITLE||Anatomy and Physiology of the Oral Cavity|
|LEVEL||01 - Year 1 in Modular Undergraduate Course|
|DESCRIPTION||This study unit provides foundation knowledge of oral and dental anatomy, human tooth morphology, oral histology and oral physiology. It develops the base-line knowledge of oral and para-oral structures and tissues and the structure and function of permanent and deciduous teeth.
This aims of this study unit is to provide dental hygiene students with a thorough understanding of the normal anatomy and physiology of oral structures and their surrounding structures in depth.
1. Knowledge & Understanding: By the end of the study-unit the student will be able to:
- Define the structures of the oral tissues both in gross structure and histology including, enamel, dentine, pulp, cementum, periodontium, bone, oral mucosa, salivary glands, tonsils, and lymph nodes.
- demonstrate an understanding of how the oral structures function together including salivation, swallowing, oral pain transmission etc.
2. Skills: By the end of the study-unit the student will be able to:
- Name and identify each tooth and be able to describe its structure including roots, crown, pits fissures and cusps, pulp chamber and root canals
- Explain how teeth and supporting structures form in depth
- Describe all the oral and dental tissues histologically
- Discuss various functions performed by the oral cavity
- Discuss the mechanisms of pain
- Describe methods and tools available for assessing pain
- Discuss the role of the oral cavity as part of vital functions such as speech, mastication, swallowing, taste and smell.
Main Text/s and any supplementary readings
ORAL ANATOMY HISTOLOGY AND EMBRYOLOGY
• Paperback: 416 pages
• Publisher: Mosby; 4 edition (22 Jan 2009)
• Language English
• ISBN-10: 0723434115
• ISBN-13: 978-0723434115 (available)
DENTAL MORPHOLOGY: AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE
• Paperback: 144 pages
• Publisher: Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd; 2nd Revised edition edition (27 Jan 1983)
• Language English
• ISBN-10: 0723606668
• ISBN-13: 978-0723606666 (available)
Clinical Oral Physiology
Miles, Nauntofte, Svensson 2004 ISBN: 1850970912 (available)
Clinical Oral Physiology by Timothy S. Miles, Birgitte Nauntofte and Peter Svensson 2004
ISBN 1850970912 (available- there is a 2012, 8th edition that should be acquired)
|ADDITIONAL NOTES||Please note that a pass in all assessment components is obligatory for an overall pass mark to be awarded.
Attendance to scheduled sessions, inclusive of lectures/tutorials, practical, laboratory and clinical components is compulsory. Students who do not attend at least 90% of the scheduled sessions will not be allowed to sit for any of the assessment components mentioned below.
|STUDY-UNIT TYPE||Lecture, Independent Study & Tutorial|
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the description above applies to study-units available during the academic year 2020/1. It may be subject to change in subsequent years.