|TITLE||An Overview of Spanish History|
|LEVEL||01 - Year 1 in Modular Undergraduate Course|
|DEPARTMENT||Spanish and Latin American Studies|
|DESCRIPTION||Looks at the following main topics: the physical framework - pre and early history - Roman Spain - the Visigothic period - Muslim Spain - The Reconquista - the creation of national unity: the Catholic Kings - the period of Spanish hegemony: Charles V and Philip II - the 17th and 18th centuries - the morass of the 19th century - Contemporary Spain.
- Carr, R., (Ed.) 2000; Oxford University Press. Spain, A History.
- Keay, R., 1988; London, British Museum Publications. Roman Spain.
- Collins, R., 1983; London, Macmillan Press. Early Medieval Spain – Unity in Diversity 400-1000.
- MacKay, A., 1977; London, Macmillan Press. Spain in the Middle Ages: From Frontier to Empire 1000-1500.
- Harvey, L.P., 1992; Chicago and London, University of Chicago Press. Islamic Spain 1250-1500.
- Elliot, J.H., 1963; London, E. Arnold. Imperial Spain 1469-1710.
- Carr, R., 1980; Oxford, Oxford University Press. Modern Spain 1875-1980.
|ADDITIONAL NOTES||Pre-requisite: A Level Spanish or equivalent|
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
|LECTURER/S||Carmel A. Vassallo
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the description above applies to study-units available during the academic year 2020/1. It may be subject to change in subsequent years.