|TITLE||Mental Health First Aid|
|LEVEL||00 - Mod Pre-Tert, Foundation, Proficiency & DegreePlus|
|ECTS CREDITS||Not Applicable|
|DEPARTMENT||Degree Plus Programme|
|DESCRIPTION||This training will help participants to:
- Identify the prevalent symptoms of a mental health problem or crisis.
- Approach, assess and assist a person developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
- Be able to listen to a person who is suffering from a mental health problem or crisis in a non-judgemental and confidential manner.
- Be able to provide support and information to a person who is suffering from a mental health problem or crisis.
- Be able to encourage a person suffering from a mental problem or crisis to seek professional help.
- Be able to understand the importance of the encouragement from family members and friends of a person who is suffering from a mental health problem or crisis.
By the end of the unit, participants will obtain the theoretical and practical skills in recognising and responding to mental health problems until professional help is sought.
Appropriate unit material will be provided by the tutor during the sessions.
A certificate of attendance and of satisfactory completion of the unit will be provided at the end of the academic year.
Detailed Training Programme Content:
Mental Health Problems in Malta
- Prevalence & Impact
- Spectrum of Interventions & Recovery
Mental Health First Aid
- Why MHFA?
- The MHFA Action Plan
- Signs, Symptoms, & Risk Factors
The MHFA Action Plan for Depression
Crisis first aid for suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Problems Signs, symptoms and risk factors
The MHFA Action Plan for anxiety problems
Crisis first aid for panic attacks
Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Signs, symptoms and risk factors
The MHFA Action Plan for psychosis
Crisis first aid for severe psychotic states
Substance Use Problems
- Signs, symptoms, risk factors and interventions
- The MHFA Action Plan for substance use problems
- Crisis first aid for severe effects of substance use
- Crisis first aid for aggressive behaviour
|ADDITIONAL NOTES||This unit may not be offered if there is an insufficient number of applicants.|
|STUDY-UNIT TYPE||Lecture and Practical|
|METHOD OF ASSESSMENT||
The University makes every effort to ensure that the published Courses Plans, Programmes of Study and Study-Unit information are complete and up-to-date at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to make changes in case errors are detected after publication.
The availability of optional units may be subject to timetabling constraints.
Units not attracting a sufficient number of registrations may be withdrawn without notice.
It should be noted that all the information in the description above applies to study-units available during the academic year 2020/1. It may be subject to change in subsequent years.