International Office

Outgoing international exchanges

Outgoing international exchanges

As a registered UM student currently reading for an undergraduate degree programme (Level 6) you are eligible to participate in an International Exchange mobility at one of the UM Partner Universities. Generally, the duration of the exchange lasts one semester. Some scholarships may even last one academic year. In order to be eligible, you must have completed the first year of university for undergraduate study cycles and be not less than 18 years of age during the exchange period.

If you are in your final year during this academic year 2023/24 you cannot apply for an exchange programme. 

Students testimonials can be viewed here.

October: The International Office issues the call for applications for the following academic year. If you are eligible to apply will receive the information by email. The call will also be uploaded on Newspoint.

10 November 2023: An information meeting is held to explain the application procedures. 
Time and Venue: 12:00 – 13:00 at Gateway Hall E

30 November 2023:  Closing date of applications. Late applications will not be accepted. 

End of January:  By the end of January you will be notified whether they were selected, placed on the reserve list or not selected.

February: The selected students will be nominated at the host Universities and will receive instructions on the application process.

You are strongly advised to consult the programme of studies available at the partner universities before choosing the preferred placements. It is important to ensure that the course programme matches the programme of studies you are following at the University of Malta. It is important to seek advice from the Dean/Director/Academic Advisor.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • The International Exchange Programme is open to University of Malta registered students following a full-time undergraduate degree programme (Level 6)
  • Applicants must be 18 years of age by the start of their exchange period.
  • Applications from students reading for their final year during the academic year 2023/24 cannot be considered.

Documents to submit:

Application form - Deadline: Thursday 30 November 2023

To upload in the application form:

  • Passport photo
  • If you are in your 1st year you need to submit: MATSEC certificate/MCAST final result-certificate/certificate in foundation studies. If you are a mature student or an international student, you need to hand in the certificates which you submitted for admission to UM.
  • If you are in your 2nd year or onwards you need to submit an unofficial transcript
  • The Authorisation Form should be signed by the Dean/Director and HoD/s. The authorisation form is an indication that you were given permission by the Dean/Director and HoD/s to apply for the exchange programme. Applications without the authorisation of the dean/director will not be considered.

Academic information
Well in advance of your departure, you need to consult with your Head of Department/Dean/Director with regards to the study-units you will be following abroad so that the credits taken at the host University can be transferred to your programme of studies at UM.

Grading systems, grading scales, and pass marks vary across different countries.  It is important that you familiarise yourself with the grading system which will be used. This information is generally available on the University’s website. 

Documents to submit prior to your departure

The learning agreement must be signed by the Dean/Director, HoD's, Faculty Officer, and the coordinator at the IO. You must then send a signed scanned copy to the host University for their signature. A copy of the Learning agreement signed by both ends should then be sent to the International Office by not later than the 30 May.

It is important that if there are any changes to the credits that are being followed during the mobility, these need to be reflected in the Learning Agreement to ensure that after the mobility there are no issues with the transfer and conversion of grades.

The Programme of studies must be signed by the Dean/Director, HoD’s and Faculty Officer

Accommodation arrangements
Make sure that you secure accommodation prior to departure and start looking into these arrangements as soon as possible. Accommodation arrangements need to be made directly by the students. Most of the Universities offer their own accommodation.

We strongly recommend that you familiarise yourself with rules and regulations of the accommodation being rented prior to entering into a long term lease. It is also important to ask for a contract and a receipt for any deposits paid.

Health insurance
Health insurance is compulsory for students participating in exchange programmes. For most Universities, you have to buy their respective policy and also show evidence of immunisation against measles, mumps, rubella, and hepatitis B. You have to check and confirm with your host institution that you have the required health coverage and immunizations, prior to your departure.

Familiarise yourself with the country
Take time to prepare for your stay abroad period, read up and get to know the country you will be living in. If you think you might experience medical or psycho-social difficulties, speak to your medical practitioner or counselor and ensure that the University you will be visiting has structures providing for medical and counseling assistance.

The International Office also encourages you to leave a contact number of a family or other close relative or friend in Malta that we may contact in case of an emergency.

Academic  information
If you need to make changes to any study-units from the originally proposed learning agreement, while you are at their host University, you are required to fill in the Changes in the Learning Agreement - Visiting   as early possible and send the signed form to Monique Mallia.

You have to be in touch with an academic advisor from the University of Malta, and obtain approval, prior to making these changes.

Non-academic information
It is important to check your University of Malta e-mail regularly. This is the only address we will use to contact you with updates throughout the year.

Remember to notify the Maltese Embassy or High Commission in the country where you are staying and provide them with your contact details. They might need to get in touch with you in the case of an emergency. 

Make sure you familiarise yourself well with the location you are staying in and keep safety as the number 1 factor at all times. Try not to travel on your own and through areas which may be designated as less safe. Keep valuables locked and only allow people you already know to visit the place where you are residing. Keep a friend notified regarding your whereabouts and keep contact numbers handy in case of an emergency. 

Dealing with culture shock
Living in an environment which is culturally different from what you are used to at home is exciting, but it can also be disorientating and may make you feel emotionally and even physically unwell at times. This experience is called 'culture shock'. Feelings of culture shock are experienced by many people as they get used to living in a new cultural environment. Some typical causes of culture shock are differences in: personal freedom, privacy, accommodation, relationships between people, the way people dress and act in public, and learning and teaching styles.

Being able to share experiences with friends can help you cope with culture shock so for health reasons make sure you spend at least some time socialising, even if you are very busy with your studies. Your host university can help you find out about social activities during your time abroad where you can have fun and meet like-minded people. If you think you are experiencing culture shock ask for help. Most universities have qualified staff who will be able to help you and further information is usually available through the International.   

Once the results are published, the host university sends the transcript of results (ToR) to the exchange coordinator at UM.  It is important that you ensure that the study-units on the ToR match the study-units on the Learning Agreement signed. The UM  coordinator converts the results obtained at the host university to a corresponding UM grade. This conversion is calculated using conversion sheets which are approved by the Registrar's Office, which take into account the Grading Scales used, the grade descriptors when available, and the passing mark. 

For more information about the process, please contact Ms Monique Mallia.